Regional Development Victoria

Planning and rebuilding

This page has resources for people who are:

  • rebuilding,
  • living in temporary accommodation,
  • applying for planning permits to replace a dwelling lost in the 2009 bushfires or
  • looking for advice on building regulations or building disputes.

Planning provisions for temporary accommodation and streamlined planning process

Special provisions introduced after the 2009 Victorian bushfires allowed for the construction of temporary accommodation and fast tracked planning approval of a replacement house on a site affected by the bushfires.

The provision for occupation of temporary accommodation will now apply until to 30 September 2018.

The provision for the streamlined replacement of a house will now apply until 30 September 2017.

More Information rebuilding and recovery can be found on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) website.

Please Note: New temporary accommodation cannot be constructed without a planning permit from council. For more information, contact your local council.

Building Advice and Conciliation

During a building project, a dispute may arise between the builder and home owner(s). If you become involved in such a dispute, you should attempt to resolve the issue directly with the other party before taking any further action.

If the issue remains unresolved after you attempted to resolve it on your own, you can visit the Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV) website to lodge an online application for dispute resolution.

DBDRV provides building disputes resolution without the cost and time often associated with courts and tribunals, and has the power to issue legally binding dispute resolution orders and certificates.

For more information, please visit the DBDRV website or call the Building Information Line on 1300 557 559.

Planning and building for bushfire protection

The Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning website has a comprehensive range of links and information on its Planning and Building for Bushfire Protection page, including more detailed information about Victoria’s Bushfire Planning and Building Framework.

Website Links:
Planning and Building for Bushfire Protection
Victoria’s Bushfire Planning and Building Framework

Victorian Building Authority

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) provides consumers with extensive information relating to building and plumbing and the regulation of these industries in Victoria.

The VBA also provides information about mapping of bushfire prone areas, the Australian Standard for building in bushfire prone areas, Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) assessments and private bushfire shelters (bunkers).

The Building Appeals Board (BAB) hears disputes about a building, building work or proposed building work where it concerns the application, compliance or effect of any provision of the Building Regulations 2006.

The Building Appeals Board does not hear contractual building disputes between consumers and builders. That type of dispute should be referred to the VBA's building advice and conciliation service.

Phone: 1300 815 127
Victorian Building Authority website

  • Share this page:
  • twitter share button
  • facebook share button