Regional Development VictoriaRegional Development Victoria

State Government of Victoria

Planning and rebuilding

This page has resources for people who are:

  • rebuilding,
  • living in temporary accommodation,
  • applying for planning permits to replace a dwelling lost in the 2009 bushfires or
  • looking for advice on building regulations or building disputes.

Planning provisions for temporary accommodation and streamlined planning process

Special provisions introduced after the 2009 Victorian bushfires allowed for the construction of temporary accommodation and fast tracked planning approval of a replacement house on a site affected by the bushfires.

The provision for occupation of temporary accommodation will now apply until to 30 September 2018.

The provision for the streamlined replacement of a house will now apply until 30 September 2017.

More Information rebuilding and recovery can be found on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) website.

Please Note: New temporary accommodation cannot be constructed without a planning permit from council. For more information, contact your local council.


Building Advice and Conciliation

The Building Advice and Conciliation Service is provided by Consumer Affairs Victoria and the Victorian Building Authority.

The Building Advice and Conciliation webpage provides detailed information about:

  • building disputes, defects and delays
  • warranties and guarantees on building
  • domestic building insurance and insolvency.

Phone: 1300 55 75 59
Visit the Building Advice and Conciliation website.

Planning and building for bushfire protection

The Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning website has a comprehensive range of links and information on its Planning and Building for Bushfire Protection page, including more detailed information about Victoria’s Bushfire Planning and Building Framework.

Website Links:
Planning and Building for Bushfire Protection
Victoria’s Bushfire Planning and Building Framework

Victorian Building Authority

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) provides consumers with extensive information relating to building and plumbing and the regulation of these industries in Victoria.

The VBA also provides information about mapping of bushfire prone areas, the Australian Standard for building in bushfire prone areas, Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) assessments and private bushfire shelters (bunkers).

The Building Appeals Board (BAB) hears disputes about a building, building work or proposed building work where it concerns the application, compliance or effect of any provision of the Building Regulations 2006.

The Building Appeals Board does not hear contractual building disputes between consumers and builders. That type of dispute should be referred to the VBA's building advice and conciliation service.

Phone: 1300 815 127
Victorian Building Authority website


Emergency Management Victoria button



Email the Fire Recovery Unit
or phone: 1800 055 714

Download the VicEmergency mobile application

Last Updated: 15 April 2016