Reinvigorating Wodonga’s cultural precinct26/09/2018
The Victorian Government is supporting the City of Wodonga’s $10.2 million Wodonga Library and Gallery Redevelopment project.
The $4 million grant from the Regional Infrastructure Fund is supporting the City of Wodonga’s new cultural precinct, contributing towards the new library and gallery buildings.The project will redevelop and expand Wodonga’s library and gallery, two of the main facilities within the Wodonga Cultural Precinct, to better service Wodonga’s community and drive visitation to the city.
The precinct is expected to have an overall economic impact of $29.9 million and create 86 jobs during construction.
The Government’s investment will contribute to:
- a multi-roomed gallery space and library with a centralised, shared reception area
- an exhibition space for cultural heritage displays
- an incubator space for artists in residence and creative cultural industry business start-ups
- dedicated IT facilities
- community, business and workshop meeting spaces for educational and public programs
- a space for visitor servicing
- a retail area ‘gift shop’ relating to both arts and literature
- landscaped public spaces for public events.
The increased exhibition and performance space will support growth in Wodonga’s visitor economy, improve liveability and further strengthen the regional economy.
Following a design and consultation process, the project is planned to start construction in July 2019.