Shepparton Showgrounds redevelopment completed01/06/2016
Shepparton residents today welcomed the completion of the Shepparton Showgrounds redevelopment project, transforming the area into an exciting major event facility for the entire region to enjoy.
The Minister for Regional Development opened the Shepparton Showgrounds Multi-Use Event and Recreation Area at a ceremony attended by local sports organisations and community groups.
The project has revitalised the town’s eastern entrance and created a striking gateway into town, providing an economic boost to the region by enhancing Shepparton’s ability to attract major events to the area.
The revitalised showground area features:
- a large outdoor floodlit multi-use grassed arena capable of serving a wide range of events, exhibitions, functions, celebrations, festivals and sporting events
- additional infrastructure to serve more outdoor sites and events
- improved entrance from Shepparton East, providing a landscaped gateway to the CBD
- environmentally sustainable swale drainage paths that collect run-off water for storage and reuse in pavilions and prevent flooding from impacting on events
- improved links between the existing indoor pavilion and hard-stand areas, better enabling the whole site to support large events of regional significance
The Victorian Government contributed $500,000 towards the $2.1 million project, which was delivered by Greater Shepparton City Council in close consultation with the local community.
The project created 10 jobs during construction and hosts 60 local sporting groups, 25 of these are new to the facility.
The showground redevelopment will ensure Shepparton can continue to attract a wide range of events – including large scale expos, car shows and arts festivals – attracting visitors to stay, play and spend in the region.