Supporting businesses in dairy communities
The Victorian dairy industry is currently experiencing challenging economic and seasonal conditions.
The Victorian Government is supporting the Victorian dairy industry with a comprehensive $13.5 million package.
Rural Skills Connect Program
The dairy support package includes funding for the $750,000 Rural Skills Connect Program to use the transferable skills in dairy communities to meet rural industry skill gaps, reskilling and providing opportunities for traineeships.
The Rural Skills Connect Program engages with people impacted by the downturn in the dairy industry who need to seek new employment or explore new opportunities through training.
The program will:
- assist affected workers by brokering new employment opportunities.
- assist farmers to supplement farm business income with off-farm income.
- assist farmers to support their workers who may have lost their job or had reduced hours.
- undertake a skills gap analysis and work with the training sector to facilitate appropriate training opportunities which will lead to employment.
- increase the accredited skills base across the industry.
- assist farm businesses to become more resilient against economic or environmental stresses in the future.
For further information or a confidential discussion, please contact your local Rural Skills Connect Program Manager based in the Regional Development Victoria offices:
Wangaratta: (03) 5722 7101 (Murray Dairy)
Traralgon: (03) 5116 7300 (GippsDairy)
Warrnambool: (03) 5561 4135 (West VicDairy)
Supporting small businesses in dairy communities
Small Business Victoria and Regional Development Victoria worked with Councils to provide free Small Business Workshops and confidential Small Business Mentoring support for businesses in dairy communities. While the immediate focus remains on supporting dairy farmers, the dairy farm supply chain businesses had access to Workshops and Mentoring from June to December 2016:
- Small Business Resilience Workshops - 2 hour workshop focused on creating business resilience and how to conduct a financial health check
- Individual Small Business Mentoring - access to individual and confidential Mentoring from an experienced small business mentor in a private session, following the Workshops
Other locations and additional workshops and mentoring may be scheduled based on demand.
Small Business Victoria: 13 22 15