Regional Economic Stimulus & Resilience Grants
Support is available through the $34 million Regional Economic Stimulus & Resilience Grants for local community and economic recovery in bushfire-affected communities.
The $68.6 million Local Economic Recovery (LER) program is jointly funded by the Australian & Victorian Governments, who have each provided $34.3 million towards this program, which will fund local projects vital for community recovery, support economic stimulus projects, and boost industry and jobs across bushfire-affected regions.
After extensive consultation with local communities, the Australian and Victorian Governments have allocated the available funding across two streams - a local community stream and a regional economic stream:
Local community stream:
- $26.6 million Local Community Project Grants, administered by Bushfire Recovery Victoria
Regional economic stream:
Objectives of Program
Administered by Regional Development Victoria the $34 million Regional Economic Stimulus & Resilience Grants have been established to support regional economic recovery by stimulating economic growth and building economic resilience in bushfire affected regions. Objectives include:
- increase economic and social benefits through enabling infrastructure
- increase employment opportunities and decrease skills shortages
- increase the capacity of the business community by enhancing employment, business and economic opportunities with a focus on tourism and primary industries, including small business or other sectors
- increase business capability, including Aboriginal businesses
- increase longer term resilience for future emergency events
- increase and restore visitor confidence in the region
- protect and enhance Aboriginal culture, and support participation and ownership
$34 million in funding is available for the Regional Economic Stimulus & Resilience Grants, with maximum funding per grant of $5 million for projects and programs in these areas:
- East Gippsland Shire
- Wellington Shire
- Towong Shire
- Alpine Shire
- Indigo Shire
- Mansfield Shire
- Rural City of Wangaratta
- Wodonga City
- Falls Creek Alpine Resort
- Mount Hotham Alpine Resort
- Mount Buller & Mount Stirling Alpine Resort
- Local Government Authority and Alpine Resort Management Board
- industry organisation
- private sector businesses, including Aboriginal organisations, sole traders, micro and small businesses
- business and industry groups, including chambers of commerce and business associations, industry peak bodies, business and industry clusters and networks
- utility and services providers and water corporations
- TAFE institution and university
- public/private partnership, through an incorporated entity
- not-for-profit organisation, including community groups that are an incorporated body, cooperative, association or social enterprise
- other organisation agreed between the National Bushfire Recovery Agency and the Victorian Government
- an auspice organisation.
Projects are eligible if they are designed to produce an economic benefit to a fire affected region (East Gippsland and/or North East Victoria) and align with one or more of the following LER Program categories:
- Economic infrastructure and new infrastructure focused on functionality improvements, enhancements or upgrades to including betterment.
- Support for projects focused on micro-grids, local energy grids, that helps deliver resilience and economic value for communities.
Industry and business development
- Initiatives supporting entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Development of regional specialisations and economic diversification.
- Business retention, new business development and business expansion and attraction.
- New technologies, plant and equipment and systems to improve productivity, competitiveness, and business and jobs growth.
- Capacity building, workforce participation, skills development, and local and regional industry networks.
- Applications open: 29 October 2020
- Applications close: 10 December 2020
- Grants awarded: January 2021
Read the guidelines
Contact your local RDV office. They will conduct an initial eligibility assessment and provide you with the application form if your project is found to be eligible.
Prepare an application: There are a number of steps you have to undertake as part of your application.
|Local Economic Recovery program guidelines factsheet (628.9 KB )||Download|
|Local Economic Recovery program guidelines (237.2 KB )||Download|
|Local Economic Recovery program guidelines (349.0 KB )||Download|
|Regional Business and Economy Recovery Plan - Gippsland (2.7 MB )||Download|
|Regional Business and Economy Recovery Plan - Hume (3.0 MB )||Download|
|Regional Business and Economy Recovery Plan - Gippsland (3.4 MB )||Download|
|Regional Business and Economy Recovery Plan - Hume (4.5 MB )||Download|
Projects funded by this program
|Project Name||Region||Year||Amount Funded|
|Destination Gippsland: Dark Skies Trail||Gippsland||2021||$267,000|
|East Gippsland Council: Bruthen Streetscape Enhancements||Gippsland||2021||$1,010,000|
|East Gippsland Council: Buchan Streetscape and Local Link Improvements||Gippsland||2021||$2,800,000|
|East Gippsland Council: Old Slipway Activation - Lakes Entrance||Gippsland||2021||$562,000|
|Gabrielle Ingram Pty Ltd: Sailors Grave Brewing - Dune Town||Gippsland||2021||$2,350,000|
|Mallacoota Abalone Limited: Rebuild Value Add of Mallacoota Abalone Limited Processing Facility Expansion - Stage 2B||Gippsland||2021||$3,000,000|
|Riviera Nautic: Riviera Nautic Jetties Redevelopment||Gippsland||2021||$190,000|
|Tambo Valley Honey: Tambo Valley Honey Shop||Gippsland||2021||$400,000|
|Trustee for the Metung Hot Springs: Metung Hot Springs||Gippsland||2021||$1,500,000|
|Workways Australia Limited: Envite Environment - Training and Skills for Bushfire Economic Recovery||Gippsland||2021||$851,600|
|Alpine Council: Gateway to Alpine Adventure - Dinner Plain Activation Phase 2||Ovens Murray||2021||$2,000,000|
|Alpine Council: Great Alpine High Country Connectivity - Dargo High Plains Road Upgrade||Ovens Murray||2021||$2,600,000|
|Cycle Plan t/a Bright Velo2: Cycle Tourism & Accommodation Redevelopment||Ovens Murray||2021||$375,000|
|Falls Creek Alpine Resort Management Board: Lakeside Trailhead and Foreshore Redevelopment||Ovens Murray||2021||$2,500,000|
|Mansfield Autism Statewide Services (MASS): Operation Gamechanger - Project Retreat Stage 1A||Ovens Murray||2021||$1,350,000|
|The Alpine Hotel: Alpine Hotel Redevelopment||Ovens Murray||2021||$600,000|
|Towong Council: Great River Road Stage 2||Ovens Murray||2021||$5,000,000|
|Upper Murray Inc: Upper Murray Place Based Power Plan||Ovens Murray||2021||$2,174,400|
|Wines of the King Valley Inc: NE Victoria Vineyard Smoke Sensor Network||Ovens Murray||2021||$870,000|
This list of funded projects may not be a comprehensive listing of all announced Regional Economic Stimulus & Resilience Grants.
Regional RDV offices