Latrobe Valley Transition Committee
Final Report to Government
The Latrobe Valley Transition Committee have finalised their advice to Government.
The report builds upon 14 months of research and consultation regarding the developing a coordinated response to the adjustment process facing the Latrobe Valley and positioning the region for growth.
The report was formally provided to the Hon Peter Ryan, Victorian Minister for Regional and Rural Development and the Hon Simon Crean, Commonwealth Minister for Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government on 21 June 2012.
- identifies the challenges and opportunities facing the region’s economy;
- sets a clear long term direction for industry development and employment growth; and
- outlines processes to support coordinated planning and investment between levels of government and regional institutions and business.
The report and executive summary are available to download from below:
Directions for Latrobe Valley Transition – Discussion Paper
In April 2012, the LVTC developed and launched a Discussion paper – Directions for Latrobe Valley Transition.
A formal submission process was open for a period of five weeks from 3 April to 9 May 2012 to seek industry, business and community views.
An extensive consultation process included three targeted industry forums (12-13 April); three public consultations (Baw Baw Shire 16 April; Latrobe City Council on 24 April and Wellington Shire Council on 26 April) and a ministerial roundtable with industry representatives (20 April) to seek feedback on the directions in the Discussion Paper.
The Discussion Paper and subsequent responses from the community and industry have informed the Committee’s report to Government and will subsequently inform the Commonwealth and State Governments’ respective responses to supporting the region transition to a more diversified economy.
Agreement for Cooperative Arrangements
Commonwealth and Victorian Governments came together on 13 December 2011, to sign an Agreement for Cooperative Arrangements for the Gippsland Region to support the transition of the Latrobe Valley economy.
The Agreement, which can be downloaded from the link below, includes the establishment of a:
- Joint Ministerial Forum – led by the Hon Peter Ryan, Victorian Minister for Regional and Rural Development and the Hon Simon Crean, Commonwealth Minister for Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government.
- Mayoral Reference Group – Mayors of Baw Baw, Latrobe City and Wellington Councils to advocate the issues and concerns of the Latrobe Valley community.
- Latrobe Valley Transition Committee (LVTC) – which includes representatives from the Victorian and Commonwealth Government; the CEOs of Latrobe Valley’s three local councils, the Regional Development Australia Gippsland committee, Victorian Employers’ Chamber of Commence and Industry, Gippsland Trades and Labour Council, Monash University and Latrobe Community Health Services.
The LVTC's response has also been informed by a number of key research reports regarding investigations into the potential adjustment process and positioning the region for growth.