RDA Melbourne delivers and supports initiatives that drive economic development by working closely with all levels of government, business and community organisations and other local stakeholders.
Below are some of the committee’s current or previous projects.
Building Better Regions Fund: Round Three
Initiated by the Australian Government, the $641.6 million Building Better Regions Fund has been set up to create jobs, drive economic growth and build stronger regional communities across the country.
RDA Melbourne is the lead agency responsible for encouraging local organisations, councils and community groups across Melbourne to submit applications for the two streams of funding:
- The Community Investments stream (grants from $5,000 to $10 million) which funds community activities, new local events and regional strategic plans; and
- The Infrastructure Projects stream (grants from $20,000 to $10 million) which supports projects which involve the construction of new infrastructure, or the upgrade or extension of existing infrastructure that provide economic and social benefits to regional and remote areas.
In addition to promoting the Fund, RDA Melbourne also reviewed and assessed applications and provided letters of support to projects and initiatives that align with the strategic priorities of the region.
The following Melbourne projects have received funding through Round Three of the Building Better Regions Fund:
- $1,208,000 towards Koo Wee Rup Recreation Reserve Pavilion for a pavilion for the Koo Wee Rup Football Club and Cricket Club.
- $982,050 towards the Merricks Station Ground Reserve Activation to enhance the only open space to residents and visitors of the Merricks township.
If you would like to know more about this fund, you can email RDA Melbourne.
Regional Employments Trials Program
Melbourne’s Western and North-Western Employment Regions are one of 10 regions across Australia which have been chosen to participate in the Federal Government’s new Regional Employment Trials (RET) Program – a 21-month initiative that aims to boost local jobs.
Under the RET program, Melbourne’s Western and North-Western Employment Regions have received $1 million through the Local Employment Initiative Fund to provide grants of between $7,500 and $200,000 to local businesses, not-for-profits and local government agencies for employment related projects.
RDA Melbourne will play a key role in encouraging organisations to apply, identifying employment projects and assessing applications to ensure they align with the local needs of the Western Melbourne and North-Western Employment Regions.
To ensure a strong connection with employment programs, all projects will also need to partner with at least one eligible employment services provider located within that region.
Examples of projects that could be funded include:
- Using mature aged residents and local business leaders in a mentoring program
- Preparing job seekers for up-coming infrastructure projects
- Work experience projects that provide local employment opportunities.
The trial will run until 30 June 2020 and more information can be found at: www.business.gov.au/assistance/regional-employment-trials
If you would like to know more about this project, email RDA Melbourne.