Fire Recovery Unit
The Fire Recovery Unit (the ‘Unit) was established on 1 July, 2011 following the closure of the Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority. The Unit’s role is to assist the ongoing recovery of communities impacted by the 2009 Victorian bushfires by facilitating strong relationships and clear responses to identified community needs.
In line with the ongoing transition of the State Government’s bushfire-specific recovery services, the Fire Recovery Unit (FRU),underwent a number of changes on 1 July 2013.
A centrally-located Community Engagement Coordinator will replace regionally-based staff and be available to support fire-affected communities with recovery-related issues.
The final edition of the FRU newsletter will be published in August 2013 and feature additional information to ensure that community members can continue to stay in touch with the latest recovery news from local council, service providers and community organisations.
The FRU can be contacted on 1800 055 714 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Unit works closely with rebuilding and planning initiatives across government to respond to the medium to longer term recovery needs of communities. It also liaises with agencies and local government authorities delivering reconstruction and recovery programs.
The Unit's key objectives are to:
- provide a clear point of contact for information and connection to services within the State Government for bushfire-affected communities
- understand community issues and needs by placing dedicated Community Engagement Coordinators within fire-affected regions
- monitor and report to stakeholders on the status of progress of relevant bushfire recovery activity
- communicate key information to support bushfire-affected communities
- strengthen connection and relationships between bushfire-affected communities and local government
- encourage bushfire-affected communities to create and implement their own vision for the future, and
- provide guidance and advice to communities on access to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund medium term funding allocation.
Whole-of-Government Bushfire Recovery Services Guide
Victoria’s 2009 bushfire-affected communities continue to rebuild their lives, homes, towns and communities through hard work and perseverance. To assist with the rebuilding and recovery process, the Fire Recovery Unit has published a Bushfire Recovery Services Guide.
The Guide has three key sections:
- Specific 2009 bushfire recovery information (including bushfire and rebuilding planning, on-ground assistance, counselling, and bereavement).
- General information (including personal, financial and legal, accommodation and business support).
- Local area guides (additional services located in bushfire-affected communities).
Your local community health organisation and your local doctor are also good sources of advice on relevant services. Take this guide with you on your next visit to discuss some options.
This guide is only available online. Periodically visit this home page to ensure you have the latest version.
Contact the Fire Recovery Unit on 1800 055 714 or email email@example.com should you require assistance with the Guide or require information about bushfire recovery.
Useful Contact Numbers
Fire Recovery Unit - 1800 055 714
The Fire Recovery Unit assists people and communities affected by the 2009 Victorian bushfires. The Unit provides a clear point of contact within the State Government for bushfire affected community members to obtain information and connect with services.
Community Engagement Coordinator
A Community Engagement Coordinator (CEC) within the Fire Recovery Unit provides an important interface between impacted communities and government. The CEC provides hands-on support to communities, assisting with the resolution of community issues and helping to deliver rebuilding and recovery projects. Contact Bec Nicoll on 0434 211 241 or Bec.Nicoll@rdv.vic.gov.au
Victorian Bushfire Information Line - 1800 240 667
The Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) provides information during significant bushfire incidents and helps the community to prepare for bushfire risk.
VBIL staff can provide information on:
- major bushfires
- bushfire safety messages;
- community meeting information;
- Emergency Relief Centre location details;
- bushfire recovery information;
- Total Fire Bans and Fire Restrictions;
- Department Sustainability and Environment fuel reduction burns, other planned burns and community consultation.
Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund - 1800 180 213
The Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund (VBAF) supports individuals and communities in towns and suburbs affected by the 2009 Victorian bushfires. VBAF can provide information on open grants for people who were affected by the 2009 bushfires.
|Email the Fire Recovery Unit or call 1800 055 714|
Regional Matters Spotlight
Email the Fire Recovery Unit
or phone: 1800 055 714