2017/18 Victorian Budget outcomes for the Gippsland region01/05/2017
State-wide Budget Investments benefiting regions:
Regional Victoria will share in a range of significant state-wide investments that address a range of Regional Partnership priorities including:
- $29 million for priority initiatives by the Partnerships, as well as funding to enable more comprehensive engagement in each region and to undertake further development of regional priorities.
- $45 million to the Connecting Regional Communities Program to support digital initiatives such as broadband trials, digital agricultural applications and blackspot minimisation.
- $1.45 billion for upgrades to regional rail infrastructure across the state.
- 25% reduction in the payroll tax rate for regional businesses – expected to benefit 4,000 businesses.
- $50 million to double the First Home Owner Grant to $20,000 for new homes in regional areas.
- $1.7 million to re-establish the Victorian Rural Women’s Network (RWN) to promote women’s economic participation and professional development.
Gippsland Regional Partnership highlights include:
- $435 million upgrade of the Gippsland Line to run more frequent, safe and reliable services and create more than 400 jobs, with a project office in the Latrobe Valley.
- $95 million will be invested in Stage 2 of the Gippsland Rail Upgrade which will duplicate the Avon River Bridge, enabling faster, more reliable services to Bairnsdale.
- Funding to develop a Destination Management Plan for Gippsland Commitment to build a new government office with 150 public service jobs.