The Partnership engages with the Great South Coast community throughout the year and takes our region’s priorities annually to the Victorian Government.
Over time, the Partnership has been able to refine the region’s priorities as it has consulted further.
In some cases, Government has responded to the priorities with funding for specific initiatives at Budget time or through the year.
But not all of our priorities require funding initiatives to get off the ground.
The Partnership recently completed an Outcomes Roadmap - a summary of the key outcomes the Partnership is striving to achieve, the actions and key projects the Partnership is focussing on, and what success will look like for the region. This is a living document and will be updated going forward.
One way in which our Partnership priorities can be realised is through the Budget process.
You can read about our 2018/19 Victorian Budget Outcomes below. These outcomes relate to 2017 priorities.
Great South Coast Partnership priorities supported in the Victorian Government Budget 2018/19 include:
- $40 million to upgrade the Princes Highway from Colac to the South Australian border
- More than $941 million for better regional roads across the state, including:
- $333 million for regional road restoration
- $261 million for road upgrades in regional Victoria
- $229 million for Continuing Towards Zero, providing safety upgrades to our regional road network
- $100 million for grants to rural councils to undertake local road remediation projects
- $17.4 million to establish Regional Roads Victoria
- $153.2 million for the Geelong City Deal, including funding towards implementation of the Shipwreck Coast Master Plan Stage 2, development of the Geelong Convention and Exhibition Centre and the revitalisation of central Geelong.
- $0.1 million for suicide prevention training for businesses, sporting and community groups to ensure the whole community knows what to do if someone is at risk of suicide.