The Partnership engages with the Great South Coast community throughout the year and takes our region’s priorities annually to the Victorian Government, through a meeting with the Rural and Regional Ministerial Committee.
Over time, the Partnership has been able to refine the region’s priorities as it has consulted further.
In some cases, Government has responded to the priorities with funding for specific initiatives at Budget time or through the year.
But not all of our priorities require funding initiatives to get off the ground.
In 2017, the Partnership, for the first time, published the priorities it took to the Victorian Government.
You can find the Partnership’s 2017 priorities below.
|Theme||Regional Partnership Priority|
|Strong and diverse regional economy with more local jobs||Invest in our future economic strengths by developing our tourism attractions such as Great Ocean Road and Budj Bim, supporting Great South Coast food and fibre sector, as well as attracting people to live in our region and providing industry with energy certainty and security.|
|Attractive, safe, vibrant and liveable community
||Invest in health and well-being of our communities through improving our health facilities and tackling lifestyle diseases, substance use, suicide and family violence.|
|Accessible, quality education and training||Invest in education and skills development of our community to improve education attainment and access to university, vocational training and special development, as well to foster pathways to higher education and employment and provide for a skilled workforce that meets the demands of the future.|
|Better roads, transport and infrastructure as enablers for prosperity, safety and liveability||Invest in enabling physical infrastructure through upgrade of our road and rail networks, public transport and improved economic and digital infrastructure.|
|Renowned environment, culture and iconic landscapes||Invest in our environment and culture through supporting UNESCO World Heritage nomination for Budj Bim and developing our creative industries, arts and culture.|
One way in which our Partnership priorities can be realised is through the Budget process.
You can read about our 2018/19 Victorian Budget Outcomes below. These outcomes relate to 2017 priorities.
You can read about our previous Budget outcomes here.
Great South Coast Partnership priorities supported in the Victorian Government Budget 2018/19 include:
- $40 million to upgrade the Princes Highway from Colac to the South Australian border
- More than $941 million for better regional roads across the state, including:
- $333 million for regional road restoration
- $261 million for road upgrades in regional Victoria
- $229 million for Continuing Towards Zero, providing safety upgrades to our regional road network
- $100 million for grants to rural councils to undertake local road remediation projects
- $17.4 million to establish Regional Roads Victoria
- $153.2 million for the Geelong City Deal, including funding towards implementation of the Shipwreck Coast Master Plan Stage 2, development of the Geelong Convention and Exhibition Centre and the revitalisation of central Geelong.
- $0.1 million for suicide prevention training for businesses, sporting and community groups to ensure the whole community knows what to do if someone is at risk of suicide.